Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A， B， C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. Which is ______ country， the United States or Canada?
A. a larger B. larger C. the larger D. the largest
12. The silk feels ________.
A. soft B. softly C. softness D. softy
13. Two nuclear power stations _______ in the past ten years.
A. are built B. have been built C. would be built D. are building
14. They kept on ______ till they got to the foot of the hill.
A. to run B. running C. runing D. run
15. There is much work to do， _______?
A. isn‘t it B. is there C. isn’t there D. is it
16. _______ as he is， he can‘t understand the English film.
A. A student of English B. Though a student of English
C. Student of English D. Being a student of English
17. The old in the country _______ taken good care of.
A. have B. has C. is D. are
18. Not a single mistake _______ in the test.
A. he made B. did he make C. he has made D. made he
19. ______ my surprise， I got a high grade in this test.
A. For B. To C. To be D. On
20. She never agree _______ you， did she?
A. to B. with C. in D. at
21. Would you mind _______ a photo of you?
A. me take B. to take C. my taking D. me to take
22. The lady treats the boy well as if he ______ her own son.
A. is B. was C. were D. would be
23. _______ round the city， we were impressed by the city‘s new look.
A. Taken B. Taking C. To be taken D. Being taken
24. He had a pain _______ his back.
A. on B. with C. in D. onto
25. The city _______ I was born is on the new railway line.
A. which B. that C. on which D. where
26. I had _______ that I would always remember it.
A. so a good experience B. such a good experience
C. so good an experience D. such good an experience
27. ______ give us help is welcome.
A. Who ever B. Whoever C. No matter who D. Those who
28. After running for nearly half an hour， I was ________.
A. out of place B. out of control C. out of breath D. out of practice
29. The mother told the little boy to do all the things _______.
A. on himself B. on his own C. to himself D. by own
30. You had better _______ a jacket， because it is cold outside.
A. take on B. to take on C. put on D. to put on
31. If you will do that， please take me into ________.
A. think B. thinking C. thought D. account
32. My pen has _______ ink.
A. run out of B. a few C. run away D. no little
33. There are， of course， bad teachers as well as ________.
A. good one B. some good C. good ones D. those good
34. “______ haste， the less speed” is good advice he often gives us.
A. More B. The more C. The morer D. Morer
35. You do look _______. You are not at all like a person who has been ill in bed for years.
A. good B. well C. sad D. disappointed
36. Some people like to eat apples. But some prefer bananas _______ apples.
A. to B. for C. with D. against
37. I _______ here two years ago.
A. moved to B. have moved C. have moved to D. moved
38. He is _______ strong a man ________ he can lift ten stones like this one.
A. such…so B. so…that C. such a …that D. so a …for
39. It _______ they who lent me the television.
A. was B. is C. were D. are
40. A famous Canadian doctor expressed the value of hobbies by saying， “______ man is really happy without a hobby.”
A. Not B. Without C. No D. None
41. Television broadcasts are ________ to an area that is within sight of the sending station of its relay.
A. prohibited B. bounded C. limited D. restricted
42. Many things ________ impossible in the past are common today.
A. to consider B. being considered C. considering D. considered
43. My parents wanted _______ me.
A. make a scientist B. to make a scientist
C. make a scientist of D. to make a scientist of
44. He has a bad habit of ________ others when they are speaking.
A. involving B. investigating C. interfering D. interrupting
45. I like that new watch very much， but I can‘t ________it.
A. cost B. offer C. pay D. spend
46. Tom arrived at the office and discovered that he had _______ his door key.
A. lent B. borrowed C. lost D. no
47. The beautiful scene left a deep _______ on the foreign visitors.
A. thought B. idea C. thinking D. impression
48. The room is a little small; _______ it is so hot.
A. in addition B. in addition to C. additional D. adding
49. I wish I ______ her address yesterday.
A. know B. had known C. would known D. knew
50. It ______ yesterday. The ground is still wet now.
A. must have rained B. was raining C. rained D. had rained